written by Chris Wall
As a Holistic Health Practitioner I've noticed there is a very big problem in our society today in regards to food and health...
Or lack thereof.
We live in a time in which we treat this for that. High blood pressure?...take this. High cholesterol?...take that. Headache?...take two of these. We treat symptoms with little and in most cases no regard as to what may be the cause of our symptoms in the first place.
Your headache is not a sign of an aspirin deficiency.
As long as pharmaceutical intervention is available, most people would rather just take the "seemingly" easy way out and swallow a pill. Of course this has its own consequences and ramifications with an already overloaded liver and a myriad of side effects. It amazes me to see the look of surprise and confusion on a person's face after being diagnosed with a chronic degenerative condition. "How did this happen?" Well...what did you expect?
According to world leading cell biologist, Bruce H. Lipton, PhD, less than 10%, of all disease is genetic. That means 90% of what happens to us is self inflicted. Read that again and let it sink in... If your check engine light comes on in your car, you wouldn't just unscrew the bulb would you? Of course you wouldn't, because that doesn't actually address the cause of the problem. Just like your check engine light, your headache is an "indicator light" letting you know there is something wrong and you need to address it.
While there are several variables that factor into attaining, increasing, and maintaining health and vitality, what you eat is number one. Consuming food is something we do every single day of our life. At three meals per day, you will have consumed 1,095 meals per year. In just 5 years that is 5,475 meals.
Have you ever considered the quality of those meals? If you had to put a percentage on it, what percent would you say actually had life giving nutrition in it? Ask yourself this question..."why do we eat food?" The answer as you well know is because it has nutrition in it. But what does our body "do" with this nutrition? Food is comprised of 3 macro-nutrients...protein, carbohydrates, and fat, and there are thousands of micro-nutrients, as well as vitamins, minerals, enzymes, trace minerals, etc.
Our body uses this nutrition to repair muscle tissue, supply the immune system with the vital resources it needs to fight bacteria and viruses as well as every other cellular process in the human body. Millions of cells die each second and new cells are made. What do you think these new cells are made from? You are what you eat my friend. Have you ever wondered why you're sick all the time, or why it takes so long to recover from injuries, or why you have low energy? What quality of fuel are you putting in your body to do all of this work? You can't put crap in your body full of food additives, preservatives and ingredients you can't even pronounce and expect to be healthy. To quote my mentor, Paul Chek..."You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit." ;-)
Whether you are trying to attain health, lose weight, gain weight, overcome an illness, or increase athletic performance, what you put in your mouth is going to have a direct affect on whether you reach your goal.... or not. (Click Here To Let Us Help You) So what do you do about it? To start, you can apply these basic nutritional principles (courtesy of the CHEK Institute) :
- If it's white, don't eat it! The 3 white devils are white flour, white sugar and mild processed by pasteurization and homogenization. If you must use a dairy product and can't acquire raw dairy, always choose certified organic as your first choice. Additionally, those that are milk (lactose) sensitive should use full fat cream, which is very low in lactose and high in fat. You can also use a high quality yogurt, in which the lactose is predigested.
- Avoid any food made from any of the white devils!
- If you can't pronounce a word on the label, don't eat it...your liver won't like it!
- If it wasn't here 10,000 years ago, don't eat it!
- If it's sweet, but it's not freshly squeezed juice, it's sugar water! Don't drink it.
- The longer the shelf life, the more harmful it is likely to be to your body!
- Aside from good water, if you are eating a food that is clear - disease grow ever near! For example, clear apple juice, clear honey and clear hydrogenated oils are all garbage foods to be avoided.
- Choose produce that is certified organic
- Choose meats that are certified organic and grass fed.
- Always season foods and water with 100% unprocessed sea salt. The best is Celtic, followed by sea salt from New Zealand because heavy metal toxicity is lowest there.
- Drink 1/2 your body weight in pounds in ounces of water daily. For example, a 200 lb man needs to drink 100 oz. of water.
- Follow the 80 / 20 rule: If you live right 80% of the time, you can absorb the other 20%!
Want to learn more? We can help. We love to help! At Trinity Holistic Health & Training we have practitioners available to guide and coach you through a nutritional program that is specifically designed for you! Click Here To Let Us Help You!